Optimized, Integrated, Efficient Quality Care
Diabetes is an emerging epidemic. In fact, diabetes is the fastest growing chronic disease globally.(1) In 2012 it was estimated that 366 million people worldwide had diabetes and this is projected to rise to 552 million by 2030.(2) In 2010 there were 2.7 million cases of diabetes in Canada and this number is expected to increase to 4.2 million by the year 2020.(3) Further, an additional 1 million Canadians are estimated to have the disease but are unaware that they have it.(3) In 2010 approximately 26.6% of Albertans were diagnosed with pre-diabetes or diabetes and we are expected to see this number increase to 30.8% by the year 2020. (3)
Our diabetes specialists are dedicated to providing the highest quality and most comprehensive diabetes care to our patients, with an emphasis on patient education and prevention of complications of the disease.
Our Diabetes Education Program
Diabetes education is the cornerstone to diabetes management because diabetes requires day-to-day knowledge of nutrition, exercise, monitoring, and medication. Diabetes education makes you more aware of diabetes, what it takes to treat it, and gives you the power to control it. Diabetes education allows you to make the necessary changes to improve your lifestyle.
At C-endo, we treat each patient individually. We understand that no one person learns the same and therefore we offer diabetes education through individual programs or group workshops. Together with your diabetes specialist you choose the method of learning that works best for you.
Despite that we do offer both individual programs and group learning workshops, we do believe that it is very important that each individual meet with one of our Certified Diabetes Educators (CDE) after attending the workshop series so we can help you create an individual plan, because everyone’s lifestyle is different.
- One on one counseling
- Insulin Pump Therapy: offers supportive education for all levels of pump therapy to assist with transition into the Alberta Insulin Pump Therapy Program as well as provide ongoing support and education to those who have been through the provincial program
Group Learning Workshops
Our small group workshops focus on learning all about diabetes, how to control your diabetes, preventing complications of diabetes and how to improve your quality of life. Learning in a group may make you feel more comfortable because you are surrounded by others that share the same questions, concerns or frustrations; you and may also hear answers to questions you may not have thought of yourself. At C-endo, we keep the groups small in size, with no more than 6 people in a workshop because we believe that learning in small groups creates a more personalized setting that makes you feel more comfortable and connected. The workshops we currently offer are:
- Diabetes 1 – Intro to diabetes and management
- Diabetes 2 – The path of diabetes and nutrition
- Diabetes 3 – Carbohydrate Counting
Diabetes education is an ongoing process that should be repeated every one to two years by scheduling a visit with your Certified Diabetes Educator. This allows patients to keep up to date with their diabetes giving you the power to control your diabetes, so it doesn’t end up controlling you.
If you have not yet connected with a Certified Diabetes Educator ask your Endocrinologist or Internist at your next visit or call the clinic to set up an appointment today!
Phone: 403-705-3636 (403-705-ENDO)
- Diabetes Australia (2012). Diabetes Globally. C2013 [cited 2013 Oct 31]. Available from: http://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/en/Understanding-Diabetes/Diabetes-Globally/.
- International Diabetes Federation (IDF) Diabetes Atlas (2011). Fifth edition Brussels, Belgium: International Diabetes Federation. C2013 [cited 2013 Oct 31]. Available from: http://www.idf.org/diabetesatlas.
- Canadian Diabetes Association & Diabetes Quebec. Diabetes: Canada at the Tipping Point – Charting a New Pat. [cited 2013 Sept 11]. Available from: http://www.diabetes.ca/documents/get-involved/web_eng.cda_report_.pdf.